School districts seeking to ascertain students’ residency in their community may now use state Motor Vehicle Commission records to do so.

An announcement issued Feb. 2 by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJMVC) lays out the process. The change was effective Dec. 2, 2015.

School districts may request a parent’s or a guardian’s name and address from NJMVC records for use in verifying a student’s eligibility for enrollment, or eligibility to maintain enrollment in a school district.

A district may seek the information only if there is an existing dispute between the district and the parent or guardian. Districts that seek the information must submit a request on official letterhead, in writing, to the NJMVC. The request must include the reason for the request and the license plate number or driver license number of the parent or guardian whose information is requested.

Requests should be sent to NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, Certified Information Unit, P.O. Box 146, Trenton, NJ, 08666; or they may be faxed to the attention of the Certified Information Unit at 609-633-8332.