The 2017 November Annual School Election will be held Nov. 7, 2017. The deadline for school board candidates to submit nominating petitions to their county clerk is 4 p.m. on Monday, July 31, 2017.
For information on running for a local school board, visit the NJSBA web site at staging.njsba.org. On the home page, scroll down to “Learn How to Run for Your Local Board of Education” to access the 2017 November Election Candidates Kit.
School board secretaries and residents interested in board member candidacy can download the free kit, which includes information on:
- Important dates
- Sample nominating petition
- Sample news release for business administrators
- Vote poster for downloading
- How to become a school board member
- Frequently asked questions
- Requirements of the New Jersey School Ethics Act
- Criminal background checks
- 2017 school election and budget procedures calendar
- Campaign reporting requirements
- Candidate briefings
The majority of New Jersey’s public school districts, 530, hold school board elections in November. Approximately 13 districts hold elections in April. In addition, there are 41 school boards whose members are appointed.
NJSBA also offers an informative video series for school board candidates titled, 10 Things School Board Candidates Should Know.
If you have any questions, please contact Ann Marie Smith in the NJSBA Communications Department at (609) 278-5209 or via email.