State law requires school board members to undergo criminal background checks within 30 days of election or appointment. According to the New Jersey Department of Education’s (NJDOE) Criminal History Review Unit (CHRU), board members elected to office Nov. 8 must undergo fingerprinting before Dec. 14 to be in compliance with the law.
Incumbent school board members, who were reelected Nov. 8, will not have to undergo criminal background checks, according to NJDOE officials.
The cost of the criminal background check for new school board members is $62.70, exclusive of administrative fees.
For additional information, contact the NJDOE Criminal History Review Unit (“CHRU”) at (609) 292-0507.
Under the law, board members who do not complete the fingerprinting process within the 30-day period following election could be declared ineligible to serve in office. If the completed criminal history review reveals conviction(s) for any of the offenses listed in the statute, the individual will be disqualified from office.
NJSBA urges all board members-elect to complete the fingerprint application as soon as possible in order to address any potential questions before the January organization meetings take place.
To schedule an appointment, take the following steps
- Access the Criminal History Review Unit’s direct web address to begin the process. Click on “File Authorization and Make Electronic Payment for Criminal History Record Check.” Enter your Social Security number and click “Continue.”
- Select the first option: “New Administration Fee Request (New Applicants Only)” and enter your Social Security number to ascertain if you are eligible for the process. The screen displays four options as to the job position(s) and employer. Please select the appropriate option and proceed to next screen.
- All Job Positions, except School Bus Drivers and Bus Aides, for Public Schools, Private Schools for Students with Disabilities and Charter Schools (Select this first option).
- All School Bus Drivers and Bus Aides for Public Schools, Private Schools for Students with Disabilities, Charter Schools and Authorized School Bus Contractors
- All Job Positions, except School Bus Drivers and Bus Aides, for Non Public Schools
- All School Bus Drivers and Bus Aides for Non Public Schools and Other Agencies
- Complete the requested applicant information to include the county/district/school/contractor code names furnished to you by your district and proceed to the Legal Certification. In order to continue with the ePayment process, read and accept the terms of the AA&C by checking the box.
- Please complete the required payment information. There is a $10 administrative fee for the department to process the request and issue an approval letter. There will also be an additional $1 convenience fee charged by the private vendor, NicUSA for processing the credit card information. Methods of payment are Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover credit cards. (If paying electronically, you may want to check your board’’s reimbursement policy
You MUST click the “Make Payment” button only one time to complete the transaction.
- After completing the transaction, you will be presented with three required steps:
- View and/or print your New Administration Fee Payment Request confirmation page.
- Complete and/or print your IdentoGO NJ Universal Fingerprint Form.
- Click here to schedule your fingerprinting appointment with MorphoTrust.
- Select the first option “View and/or print your New Administration Fee Payment Request confirmation page” and print a copy of the receipt by clicking the print button in the upper right corner of the page and presenting a copy to the employing entity.
- Next select the second option “Complete and/or print your IdentoGO NJ Universal Fingerprint Form” to complete the IdentoGO NJ Universal Fingerprint Form. Type the missing information into the seven highlighted boxes (height, weight, maiden name if applicable, place of birth, country of citizenship, hair color, and eye color). After the form is complete, you must click on the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page. When the form has been submitted, you must view and print the IdentoGO NJ Fingerprint Form and present it to MorphoTrust at the time of LiveScan fingerprinting.
- Access the MorphoTrust web page by selecting the third option “Click here to schedule your fingerprinting appointment with MorphoTrust” or call 1-877-503-5981 to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- In about two weeks, you will be able to view and print your “Applicant Approval Employment History” by accessing the Criminal History Review Unit website. Please give a copy to your board secretary.
If you have previously submitted to a criminal background check School board members who underwent criminal background checks for employment in another New Jersey school district after Feb. 21, 2003 will have their fingerprints on file. However, they must complete an abbreviated online application process for a fee of $27.50 plus a $ 1.00 convenience fee for NicUSA. The Archive Submission Process fee includes a $ 10.00 administrative fee for the DOE to process the request and issue the approval.
- Go to the NJDOE Criminal History Review webpage
- Select “ File Authorization and Make Electronic Payment For Criminal History Record Check.”
- Select the second link, “Archive Application Request,” and follow the directions.
Contact the NJDOE Criminal History Review Unit at (609) 292-0507 for additional information.