Financial support for this project was generously provided by the Alliance for Competitive Energy Services (ACES) and managed by the New Jersey School Boards Association (NJSBA).
Authors & NJSSP Team Members
STEAM and Sustainable Schools Specialist, New Jersey School Boards Association – NJSSP Project Director
Green Schools Fellow, U.S. Green Building Council – NJSSP Project Manager
Consultant – NJSSP Project Coordinator
We are grateful to Philip E. Mackey, Ph. D., senior researcher, REL Mid-Atlantic at ICF International and his assistant Klonda Speer for their dedication and commitment to reviewing this project and offering their insight as research evaluators.
We thank the following colleagues and organizations, who supported this project by sharing their expertise and resources with the pilot districts. These professionals are referred to as Subject Matter Experts (SME) throughout the document.
- Auburn University, Lisa Kensler, D.
- Center for Green Schools
- DeFeo Associates, Wayne DeFeo
- Eco Schools New Jersey, Jennifer Dowd
- Fernbrook Farms Environmental Education Center, Brian Kuser
- Gabel Associates, Joe Santaiti
- Hopewell Valley Regional School District, Norman Torkelson, former facilities director
- Institute for the Built Environment, Colorado State University, Brian Dunbar and Stephanie Barr
- New Jersey of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), Tanya Oznowich, Sondra Flite, and Marc Rogoff
- New Jersey of Health (NJDOH), Eric C. Weren
- New Jersey Farm to School Network, Beth Feehan
- Sustainable Jersey, Heather McCall and Veronique Lambert
- The Cloud Institute, Jaimie Cloud
- Event sponsors:
- Schneider Electric, Enable K-12
- Maloney & Curcio, Inc., New Jersey Territory, Terrence Moore
- Elkay Manufacturer, Franco Savoni
This project would not have been possible without the participation of the pilot districts, passion of the team leaders and dedication of all involved to progressing sustainability in schools. With the most sincere gratitude, we acknowledge the following agents of change, champions and leaders.
Pilot district team leaders:
- Allamuchy School District, Deb DeAngelis
- Cherry Hill School District, Kevin Frost
- Highland Park School District, Tracey Maiden
- Holland Township School District, Nancy Yard, D.
- Medford Township School District, Joe Biluck,
- Neptune Township School District, Michelle DeRitis and Sally Millaway
- North Brunswick Township School District, Amy Rafano
- Ogdensburg School District, Claudia Lencsak and Michelle Cooper
- Plumsted Township School District, Colleen Gravel
- Swedesboro-Woolwich School District, Vanessa Paccione
- West Orange School District, Pete Ficuciello